Makaha Mangoes, Mākaha, Oʻahu
- Area under production: 1 acre, plus other cooperative arrangements
- Years farming in Hawaiʻi: 25 years
- Crops grown, animals raised, other products/services: mango, tropical fruit, sheep and goats
- Number of employees and/or family members involved: No employees, 4 other family members on shares
- Fertility management: It is evolving, from traditional, to mulches and foliars to EM® (Effective Microorganisms®),occasional soil and tissue analysis.
- Thereʻs lots of information on YouTube and Google. Sharing information with others helps us all get better.
- Ultimately it is production that makes the difference.
- Tree ripened fruit is the best there is. I do not like to let anything leave the farm unless it is ripe. Fruit does not ripen well off of the farm. I use a brix meter to verify the ripeness of the fruit.
- Makaha Mangoes: http://www.makahamangoes.com/
- Makaha Mangoes on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/makahamangoes
READ THE UH VERSION HERE
Here is the full color entire article here: